Annotated Bibliography

Adler, E S, and R Clark. “Adolescence: A Literary Passage.” Adolescence 26.104 (1991): 757-768. MEDLINE Complete. Web.

Adler and Clark’s essay is more scientific rather literary. I will be using their analysis of the break down of the stages of adolescence. Additionally, their research help explain the effects of YA literature (specifically if it should be used as therapy, which tangentially can be applied to my essay). Through character development, they write how these coming of age novels allow young adults to express sympathy towards the children in the texts they read, which is an important development. I will leapfrog this essay by agreeing with the general points, but then pointing out flaws in their lack of desire to use the texts in therapeutic and scientific ways.

GOODYEAR, DANA. “Kid Goth.” New Yorker 85.46 (2010): 48. MasterFILE Complete. Web.

Goodyear’s paper is probably one of the strangest papers I have read for this research paper. The source is mainly a discussion of Gaiman’s odd life choices (written by a seemingly emo fangirl, who is in fact a middle aged lady). There is a brief section on Coraline that will be helpful to my paper. It’s an analytic summary and it concludes that after Coraline’s battles “there was nothing left about school that could scare her anymore” (2). This really ties in with what I’m trying to prove with my paper: after the child emerges from the portal s/he is more mature and able because her/his experiences have conditioned her/him. It would be cool to speak about the thin boundary that lies between writers and readers in the fantasy genre, but I’m not so sure that will tie in with my paper. I think I’ll be ass kissing for the most part, because most of what she says about Coraline is pretty standard and hard to disagree with.

Hintz, Carrie and Eric L Tribunella. Reading Children’s Literature. 1st ed., Boston, Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2013,.

Carrie Hintz and Eric L. Trubunella’s textbook is a lot less helpful than I had hoped. They provide a fantastic overview of children’s’ literature. Their work is stuffed with great definitions for important topics that I will be working with (genre, psychoanalytic approach to YA literature, the function of the home as a dangerous place, etc.). However, each topic only gets a brief paragraph, which doesn’t really give me so much to work with. Their text is a great starting point for basically every topic in my essay, but leaves a lot to be researched. I hope to piggyback their work by using their brief discussion as a foundation for my further discussions.

Kidd, Kenneth B. Freud In Oz. 1st ed., Minneapolis, University Of Minnesota Press, 2011,.

Professor suggested I look into Bruno Bettelheim’s The Use of Enchantment, but I haven’t gotten a chance to take the book out of the library yet. However, I found this book that quotes Bettelheim a lot and his approach to fairytales and it sounds like this book might be helpful in my research. It’s hard to really tell which side Bettelheim is on (which I acknowledge sounds weird, but the book keeps showing him representing fairytales both positively and negatively), so I hope to check out the book and take a look for myself. In theory, I would either be piggybacking or picking a fight, depending on his view.

MacAndrew, Elizabeth. The Gothic Tradition In Fiction. 1st ed., New York, Columbia University Press, 1979.

MacAndrew’s book will probably be the most helpful and thorough source I have found so far. Her book outlines the genre of horror, speaks about the history, discusses the artificiality of the worlds created (which ties in with my other sources on the uncanny), and the purity of the young heroes. These are all really important topics that will come up in my paper. She touches on the aesthetics of horror, which is great because I’m having trouble finding a good source on that and speaks about the darkness in the text (villains, destruction, etc.) I’m really excited to read her text more closely and apply the tropes she presents to my primary texts. I think I’ll be piggybacking her work by agreeing with it but then furthering it by applying it to my primary texts.

Mendlesohn, Farah. Rhetorics Of Fantasy. 1st ed., Middletown, Conn., Wesleyan University Press, 2008,.

Mendlesohn’s book is really exciting and really gives a thorough outline of portals. She discusses the themes of transition and exploration in conjunction with the portals and furthers by raising the importance of narration in the texts. She also speaks about important tropes like the (magical) guides molding the characters and the fact that it takes time to cross the portals. This will be extremely helpful because my paper will be discussing the function of portals. Therefore, I will be very much ass kissing. I suppose, in a way, I’ll also be piggybacking because I’ll be applying her thoughts to my own texts but pretty much Mendleshon has a monopoly on writing about portals in YA literature (based on my research) so whatever she says goes.

Michelle Pagni Stewart,. “Joseph Bruchac’s “Dark” Novels: Confronting The Terror Of Adolescence“. Studies In The Novel, vol 42, no. 1, 2010, pp. 84-98. Johns Hopkins University Press

In Stewart’s work she focuses on texts by Joseph Baruchac, but I’ll be ignoring that and focusing on her research around those books. The section on the uncanny will be most helpful for my paper. In this section she discusses horror-fiction and its strange appeal. Further, she discusses and compares the horror to the “horrors” young adults face with their changing bodies, hormones, and social groups. I will piggyback her essay by applying my own primary texts to her research in place of Baruchac’s works.

Rudd, David. “An Eye For An I: Neil Gaiman’s Coraline And Questions Of Identity.” Children’s Literature In Education 39.3 (2008): 159-168. Education Source. Web.

Rudd’s paper is very focused of Saussure and Lacan. I don’t think I want to use much of their theories because I think I have enough complexities going on in my paper. Rudd’s work does give a fantastic insight into the Freudian analysis of the uncanny, which is extremely important for my paper. I’m still debating how much Freud I want to apply to my paper, because I’m not such a fan of Freud’s psychoanalysis, but as expected if I chose to, Rudd provides a fair amount of Freudian-castration to Coraline. This work is also important because it gave me insight into the mother/daughter (father/son) relationships that I will need to analyze in my paper. I will definitely be piggybacking this work by applying my other two primary sources to Rudd’s analysis. If I chose to work with Freud I’ll probably be picking a fight.

I also think I might look into Victor Turner and Arnold van Gennep and their work on rites of passages. I vaguely remember it from an Anthropology class I took, but I’m not sure how helpful their work will actually be in application.

img_9196

My ballroom diagram starts off with Professor Hintz, Elizabeth MacAndrew, and Farah Mendleshon at the bottom. Their works in YA literature, gothic fiction, and fantasy (respectively) set the foundation for my paper. They all pretty much have strong knowledge on their one field, except for Hintz, who thinks she knows everything. Stemming from their insights are my primary sources: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Coraline, and The Phantom Tollbooth. Coraline yields two specific works, David Rudd, who spends a great deal of his essay explaining Coraline via Freud, which is helpful because I care about the uncanny in my paper and Dana Goodyear, a strange lady who explains the functions of portals specifically in Coraline, but I will apply this to all my texts. Then we have Emily Adler and David Clark who build on Hintz by using science and explaining the psychological function of YA literature. Lastly, Michelle Pagni Stewart builds on both Hintz and MacAndrew by speaking about the plights of adolescence and the horror genre. The motivating moves I will be using are: 2- The knowledge on the topic has been heretofore limited, because there is very little work that discusses YA literature in conjunction with horror with a focus on the coming of age portal as a rite of passage convention, so I’ll be adding to that and 3-There’s a mystery or a puzzle that needs answering, because I hope to be exploring the aesthetics and the psychology of why people enjoy horror.

2 thoughts on “Annotated Bibliography”

1. Hi Zahava! Your annotated bibliography seems pretty darn strong. Love your ballroom’s clarity and humor. I think that you outline a good paper for exploring fantasy, the gothic, and portals (got to love Mendlesohn!). You’re setting yourself up pretty solidly for Coraline, but I worry about Ms. Peregrine a bit, and for The Phanotom Tollbooth a bit more. I know that you have gothic and portals covered, but I feel that you might benefit from articles written about those pieces specifically. I understand that this isn’t an easy undertaking; hardly anyone writes about fantasy, especially YA fantasy. I’m probably overreacting. I saw that you have a solid base with MacAndrew, and hope the research there is supremely useful to you! I like that you’re not just kissing butts; you plan to pick a fight with Freudian logic. Good for you!
    Your proposal was written very clearly, and I feel that your research aligns pretty well with that. I think that your topic is fascinating, and just want to advise you to make sure you keep a proper balance in your paper, as all of these sub-topics (growing up, portals, gothic fiction, YA sub-genres, etc.) with the texts are so alluring. Just a side-note: I love your notes about the Gaiman fanatic. He is quite a character! I think you made smart decisions with your anchor texts, and would like to just point out that Mendlesohn did write a book on YA science fiction, which might be of use to you. Also, I’m not seeing much in my educational psychology books, but you should probably check the database ERIC, if you want to go into the YA aspect of these novels a bit more. Good luck, and be well!

2. Hey Zahava! So it looks like you’ve found a lot of helpful and useful secondary sources to help you get started on your paper. It’s great that you’ve found sources that are focused on important elements you’ll be discussing (like the genre of horror, portals, and the uncanny), which will really help you create an argument for your paper. It’s also so good that you got your hands on an article that’s focused on one of your primary sources! (I’ve been trying so hard to find an article specifically about one of my books to no avail). It looks like you have a lot of topics you want to discuss with regards to your primary sources, so outlining exactly what you want to discuss and at which point will be super beneficial, just so you won’t get mixed up as you start to write. I think it’s good that your sources offer varying degrees of help, that way you can sort out which ones will be used for the bulk of your argument and which will help you with the basic understanding of your topics. Hintz may not offer very much, but maybe she’ll be helpful to you when you discuss the general aspects of adolescence and development (the minor, but important details to get you started!). And then MacAndrews can swoop in and help you out as you get into the important, detailed parts of your paper.
    Your prose is super clear and well written, so I think your paper will be just as good. Awesome work! Excited to read your final paper 🙂 Good luck with everything and keep up the great work!