Snow Much Research

1. Emily Dickinson’s Poems
  2. “The Yellow Wallpaper” BLUE
  3. “The Tell-Tale Heart” BLUE
  4. A Midsummer Night’s Dream GREEN
  5. The Importance of Being Earnest GREEN
  6. “Ode to a Grecian Urn”
  7. “Bartleby the Scrivner” GREEN
  8. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao YELLOW
  9. Fun Home YELLOW

Okay, so this post isn’t really my way of thinking things out/studying so it’s going to be a little messy and then in a week or so when I work out all my research I can make it a lot clearer. So, I really want to have about 10 works prepared. I took 9 from the list. I haven’t decided which book I want to take as my extra.

Genre: For genre, I would probably prepare the yellow texts and discuss the coming of age genre told through two different mediums: novel vs. graphic novel. I still have like 100 pages left of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, so I’m going to hold off on researching and committing to a stance on it.

Alternatively, I could also use “Ode to a Grecian Urn” and speak about the genre of Ekphrasis and compare it to Achilles’ shield in the Iliad, which, technically can also go for historical context if I find the right research to support me.

Historical Context: I would probably work with my green texts and show how identity in literature differs through history. I’d show who has what agency and how it mattered- i.e. women’s identity, wealth, etc.

Alternatively, I could use these works for the genre category because one is fantasy and one literary fiction and discuss how the two provide different depictions of identity.

Theory: I did my presentations on “The Yellow Wallpaper” and “The Tell-Tale Heart” and both of these texts had unreliable narrators that descended into paranoia. “Bartleby the Scrivner” has this as well. I could group these three (or two or one, depending on the question) and use the theories I used for my presentations to make a convincing argument.

Alternatively, I could probably do a feminist theory reading of Emily Dickinson’s poems and “The Yellow Wallpaper” (or Fun Home).

Flexibility and Modularity: I think my alternatives (written in italics) allow me a lot of flexibility, so I’m not super concerned. I think it ‘s really plausible for me to find research on the topics I proposed and once I have that, and read through it/mark it up I’ll be in a pretty solid place. I also intend to pick a book that fits into all the categories as my extra. So far, I think Catcher in the Rye would fit into a lot of these categories, especially my coming of age genre one. But I think I’m just saying that because I really like that book. But yeah. So, over the weekend I’ll pull some research on these topics and I think that it’s just a matter of being overly prepared research wise and organizing my research so that I can quickly find things to write about. (Also I wrote this on Mircosoft Word and when I put it here my nice organized highlights went away)

2 thoughts on “Snow Much Research”

1. I think both of your ideas for genre are solid, and you can even combine the two if you want to incorporate more texts by talking about ekphrasis in connection with Fun Home, like we discussed in class. For your historical context topic about identity, I kind of feel like it’s too broad a topic for such a short essay. I know this is just a really brief overview of your plans, so maybe it’s more focused than it currently seems, but I would suggest trying to narrow it a bit more. And in terms of your theory idea, I actually found this really cool feminist reading of “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Gita Rajan, which could possibly fit with a reading of Emily Dickinson and/or “The Yellow Wallpaper.” But I think both of your ideas are great ~

2. I like how you color coded your sources and links. (Will you be using the same color code for annotations/highlighting etc?) After your presentation, I was pretty interested in gaze and madness and Panopticism. Although your alternative for theory would be an easy go to, I think you’d probably be stronger with your first instinct and the stuff you presented on. (I think you’d enjoy it more as well) I had forgotten about Achilles’ Shield for ekphrasis. It seems like another easy go to and rather flexible. Although broad, you may be able to use your green texts for genre as well and find a way to narrow it down to something more specific, thus increasing the flexibility for those texts. Overall, I think you’re set up pretty well.